Thursday, July 18, 2019

Eight Ways of Loving God Revealed by Love Himself

This summer I have been reading Jeanette Flood's Eight Ways of Loving God Revealed by Love Himself from Ignatius. My attention was drawn to this book when I first saw it advertised in a mailing. When I received it I realized that it is a fairly substantial book (at 375 pages) and reads in a more academic/textbook style tone, while still having personal experiences woven throughout. There is a clear organization throughout divided into parts, sections, and chapters broken down by different headings, exploring concepts in detail and having each of the parts intentionally forming a cohesive whole. Feature boxes are sprinkled throughout containing Bible verses, quotes from Saints, excerpts from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and additional information or resources.

I appreciated that Flood began the book with a chapter focusing on a rationale for loving God before shifting into a section on trusting God. I could see glimpses into my journey as I read through her ideas. The chapters can also be a reflection aid, considering questions such as: What aligns with what I am already doing? What points towards areas for growth? Of the many potential ideas, what action steps will I take to prioritize growing closer to God?

I always love seeing how thinking interacts. For example, on the same day that I submitted a Catholic Mom post titled Hard Teachings (to be published next week), I came across a heading in her book with the same title. I enjoyed seeing how her ideas complemented mine, as well as how her unique lens provided additional layers to consider. The emphasis on process was another aspect that resonated with me.

I still have about 1/2 the book to go and am looking forward to delving deeper into her ideas. I am enjoying her voice, experiences and the depth with which she is writing about the topic.

*Review copy provided by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.